Peace Corps Ghana. Menji Agric Senior High. Chemistry. Friends. Cooking. Volleyball. Running. Animals.

01 July 2013

Walkin' Round 'n' Talkin' Twi


Betsy's
50 Most Useful
Twi Phrases




CONTENTS:
Greetings        Introductions   Going Places       Around the House         Buying Stuff    Miscellaneous

HOW TO USE:
The American English version of the phrase is listed first; it is the one in larger font. Following that is the properly-spelled Twi version, the phonetic Twi version, and then the direct English translation.

Often, an English phrase cannot be translated word-for-word into Twi and still make sense. This is why the English phrase does not have the same wording as the direct translation phrase. I included the direct translation in case you are curious about the meaning of a word or Twi sentence structure.

DISCLAIMER:
This is NOT a comprehensive language guide NOR is it LPI prep guide. It is merely a list of practical phrases that will get you through most normal, real-life situations here in Ghana. Some of the Twi spellings may not be correct. Spelling seems to vary wildly depending on who you ask or what book you use! Also, if you are Ghanaian and/ or know Twi well, feel free to comment!


Part I. Greetings

1. Good morning.
Twi                                  Maakye. or Maakye-o.
(Phonetic)                                  (mah-chee) (mah-chee-oh)
Direct Translation                                  Give morning. Give morning-o.

2. Good afternoon.
Twi                                  Maaha. or Maaho.
(Phonetic)                                   (mah-hah) (mah-how)
Direct Translation                                   Give afternoon. Give afternoon-o.

3. Good evening.
Twi                                  Maadwo. or Maadwo-e.
(Phonetic)                                   (mah-joe) (mah-joe-aye)
Direct Translation                                   Give evening. Give evening-o

4. Response to “Good morning/ afternoon/ evening”
Twi                                   Yaa'nua. or Yaa'ena. or Yaa'agya. or Ye'mu / Ye'sϽn.
(Phonetic)                                   (yeh-nweah) (yeh-ennah) (yah-edgah) (yeh-moo / yeh-sohn)
Direct Translation                                   Yes, peer. Yes, old woman. Yes, old man. Yes, anybody.

5. How are you? I am fine. (version 1 )
Twi                                   Wo ho te sɛn? Me ho yɛ.
(Phonetic)                                   (woh hoe teh sane) (meh hoy-yeh)
Direct Translation                                  Your body feels how? My body is.

6. How are you? I am fine. (version 2)
Twi                                  ɛtɛ sɛn? ɛyɛ. or BϽϽkϽϽ. or Nyame Adom.
(Phonetic)                                   (eh-teh sane) (eh-yeh) (boh-kohhh) (nyah-me ah-dome)
Direct Translation                                  It feels how? It is. Cool. God's grace.

7. How are you? I am fine. (version 3)
Twi                                  ApϽmu'e? ɛyɛ. or BϽϽkϽϽ. or Nyame Adom
(Phonetic)                                   (ah-poo-moo-a) (eh-yeh) (boh-kohhh) (nyah-me ah-dome)
Direct Translation                                   Health? It is. Cool. God's grace.



Part II. Introductions
8. What is your name? My name is _______. (version 1)
Twi                                  Wo din de sɛn? Me din de ______
(Phonetic)                                   (woh deen deh sane) (meh deen deh _____)
Direct Translation                                   You are named how? My name is ______
9. What is your name? My name is _______. (version 2)
Twi                                  Ye frɛ wo sɛn? Ye frɛ me _______
(Phonetic)                                   (yeh freh woh sane) (yeh freh me ______)
Direct Translation                                   We call you how? We call me ______

10. What is your occupation? I am a teacher.
Twi                                  Wo yɛ adwuma bɛn? Me yɛ tikyani.
(Phonetic)                                   (woh yeh ad-jew-mah bane) (me yeh tee-cha-nee)
Direct Translation                                  You do work which? I am teacher.

11. Where do you live? I live in Sunyani.
Twi                                   Na wo te he? Me te Sunyani.
(Phonetic)                                   (nah woh teh hey) (meh teh Sunyani)
Direct Translation                                  And you live where? I live Sunyani.

12. What are you from? I am from America.
Twi                                   Wo firi he? Me firi America.
(Phonetic)                                   (woh firi he) (mee free America)
Direct Translation You from where? I from America.

13. This is my wife/ husband/ brother/ sister.
Twi                                   Me yere / kunu / nuabarimaa / nuabaa nie.
(Phonetic)                                   (me yearay / koo-noo / noo-ah-berry-mah / noo-ah-bah nee-yay)
Direct Translation                                  My wife / husband / brother / sister this.



Part III. Going Places
14. Where are you going?
Twi                                   Wo kϽ he?
(Phonetic)                                   (woh koh hey)
Direct Translation                                   You go where?

15. I am going to town/ market.
Twi                                   Me kϽ krom/ dwam.
(Phonetic)                                   (me koh croom/ jwahm)
Direct Translation                                   I go town/ market.

16. When will you return?
Twi                                  Wo bɛ ba da bɛn?
(Phonetic)                                   (woh beh bah dah bane)
Direct Translation                                  You will come day which?

17. I will return today / tomorrow / the day after tomorrow
Twi                                  Mɛba enneɛ / okyina / okyina akye
(Phonetic)                                   (meh-bah ennay / oh-chin-nah / oh-chin-ah ah-chee)
Direct Translation                                   I will come today / tomorrow / tomorrow back.

18. Where have you been?
Twi                                   Wo kϽϽ he?
(Phonetic)                                   (woh kaw hey)
Direct Translation                                  You went where?

19. I traveled.
Twi                                   Ma tu kwan.
(Phonetic)                                   (mah too quine)
Direct Translation                                   I travelled.

20. Excuse me, where is the Sunyani car?
Twi                                   Me pa wo kyew, Sunyani kaa wo he?
(Phonetic)                                   (me pah woh choh, Sunyani car woh hey?)
Direct Translation                                  I beg your pardon, Sunyani car is where?

21. Driver, please, slow down!
Twi                                   Driver, mesrɛ, tϽbϽ!
(Phonetic)                                   (drivah, meh-ser-reh, toh-boh)
Direct Translation                                  Driver, I beg, slow down!

22. Mate, I will get down here / there / at the billboard.
Twi                                   Mate, me si ha / hϽ / wϽ signboard.
(Phonetic)                                   (mate, meh see hah / hoe / woh signboard)
Direct Translation                                  Mate, I sit here / there / at signboard.

23. To get to Sunyani is how much?
Twi                                   KϽ Sunyani yɛ sɛn?
(Phonetic)                                   (koh Sunyani yeh sane)
Direct Translation                                   Go Suyani is how much?

24. What gift did you bring me from your travels?
Twi                                  Na wo tϽ deɛn abrɛ me?
(Phonetic)                                   (nah woh tow dee-ane ah-breh me)
Direct Translation                                   And you bought what to bring me?

25. I brought you bread.
Twi                                  MatϽ panoo ama wo.
(Phonetic)                                   (mah tow pah-no ah-mah woh)
Direct Translation                                  I bought bread to give you.


Part IV. Around the House
26. Anybody home?? …. Hello, I'm coming.
Twi                                 Agoo? …. Amee, me ba.
(Phonetic)                                  (ah-go) (…. ah-may meh-bah)
Direct Translation                                 Hello? …. Hello, I'm coming.

27. Please.... (followed by a request)
Twi                                  Me pa wo kyew...
(Phonetic)                                  (me pah woh choh...)
Direct Translation                                  I beg your pardon...

28. Wash my clothes today.
Twi                                  Si m'ataadea enneɛ.
(Phonetic)                                  (see mah-tah-dee-a innay)
Direct Translation                                 Wash my clothing today.

29. Please wash the dishes.
Twi                                  Hohoro nkyɛsee/nniema no.
(Phonetic)                                  (hoh-horrow en-chensee /nee-ay-ma no)
Direct Translation                                 Wash dishes the.

30. Sweep my room.
Twi                                 Pra me dan mu.
(Phonetic)                                  (prah meh dine mew)
Direct Translation                                 Sweep my room inside.

31. Fetch water for me.
Twi                                  KϽ sa nsuo abrɛ me.
(Phonetic)                                  (koh sah in-sue-oh ah-breh me)
Direct Translation                                  Go carry water to bring me.

32. I am going to bathe.
Twi                                 Me kϽ dware.
(Phonetic)                                  (mee koh jwah-ray)
Direct Translation                                  I go bathe.

33. Where is the soap?
Twi                                  Samina no wo he?
(Phonetic)                                  (saminah no woh hey)
Direct Translation                                  Soap the is where?

34. What do you want to eat?
Twi                                 Wo bɛdi deɛn?
(Phonetic)                                  (woh beh-dee dee-ane)
Direct Translation                                  You will eat what?

35. I want an egg sandwich.
Twi                                 Me pɛ kosua akye ne panoo.
(Phonetic)                                  (meh peh cosia ah-chee nee pah-no)
Direct Translation                                  I like egg fried and bread.

36. I have eaten, I am satisfied.
Twi                                 Ma didi, maame paa.
(Phonetic)                                  (mah dee-dee, mah-me pah)
Direct Translation                                  I have eaten, I am full very.

37. We will pound fufu tonight.
Twi                                  Yɛbɛ wϽ fufu anwϽmmerɛ yei.
(Phonetic)                                  (yeh-beh woh fufu anew-mirray yee)
Direct Translation                                 We will pound fufu evening this.

38. I am going to bed... Good night!
Twi                                  Me kϽ da... Da yie!
(Phonetic)                                  (me koh dah... dah yee)
Direct Translation                                  I go sleep... Sleep well!



Part V. Buying Stuff
39. What do you want to buy?
Twi                                 Na wo pɛ deɛn? or Na wo tϽ deɛn?
(Phonetic)                                  (nah woh peh dane) (nah woh toh dane)
Direct Translation                                  And you like what? And you buy what?

40. I want to buy rice / beef / cassava.
Twi                                 Me tϽ ɛmϽ / nantwinam / bankye
(Phonetic)                                  (meh toh eh-moo / nan-chwee-num / ban-chey)
Direct Translation                                  I buy rice / cow meat / cassava.

41. This is how much?
Twi                                 ɛyɛ sɛn?
(Phonetic)                                  (eh-yeh sane)
Direct Translation                                  It is how much?

42. Where can I buy bananas?
Twi                                  ɛhe na me nya kwadu atϽ?
(Phonetic)                                  (eh-hee-nah meh nyah quah-doo ah-toh)
Direct Translation                                 Where me get banana to buy?



Part VI. Miscellaneous
43. I am sick.
Twi                                 Me yare.
(Phonetic)                                  (meh yarray)
Direct Translation                                  I am sick.

44. Thank you (very much).
Twi                                     Me'daase (paa).
(Phonetic)                                  (meh dah-see (pah))
Direct Translation                                  I thank (much).

44. What the hell! (exclamation)
Twi                                  Adɛn!
(Phonetic)                                  (ah-den)
Direct Translation                                  Why!

45. Let's pray.
Twi                                  Yɛ bϽmpaeɛ.
(Phonetic)                                  (yeh bom-pie-aye)
Direct Translation                                 We pray.

46. I am hungry.                                    47. I am thirsty.
Twi                                 ɛkϽm de me.                             SukϽm de me.
(Phonetic)                                  (eh-com deh me)                                  (sue-com deh me)
Direct Translation                                  ??                                                                   ??

48. You are crazy. (rude)
Twi                                  WϽabϽdam.
(Phonetic)                                  (wah-boh-dahm)
Direct Translation                                  ??

49. Go away. (also not very nice)
Twi                                  Firi ha kϽ.
(Phonetic)                                  (free-hah koh)
Direct Translation                                  Away here go.

50. Let's play volleyball!
Twi                                  Yɛbɛ bϽ volley!
(Phonetic)                                  (yeh-beh boh volley)
Direct Translation                                 We will hit volleyball!


No comments:

Post a Comment