Peace Corps Ghana. Menji Agric Senior High. Chemistry. Friends. Cooking. Volleyball. Running. Animals.

08 February 2013

Hello Everybody, Happy New Year!!


Intro

I have missed you all so much, it's about darn time I gave you an update. So here it is!

As most of you know I was home for Christmas. I was so happy to see you all. Spending time with people I love, drinking wine, family game night, eating cheese (although not too much for fear of wrecking my digestive system), giving Christmas presents, romping through the woods in the snow with Bear... Anyhoo, I needn't say much about Christmas in Indiana, because well, you were most likely there.  All I need to say is that the overwhelming love I received upon my brief visit home was incredible and I am so thankful for each and everyone of you.


Update Part 1 (Fussy Pants ON)

Ringing in the New Year, I had a bit of bad luck streak. I don't want to dump a pathetic pity party on you but.... Immediately upon my arrival I was unlucky enough to have had my bag lost in transit (BOO) and had to wait around for them to find it.  Then I had not one but two phones stolen, my camera was stolen also, my favorite sunglasses got swiped, I had a lovely encounter with Giardia (amoung other unsavory health issues), my fantastic American shampoo got squirted all over the yard by some kids (which is TRAGIC become shampoo just cannot be bought in my neck of the woods), and.... AND.... 

And worst of all.... This is so awful....

I broke my Michael Jackson mug. A moment of silence, please.


Update Part 2 (The Laboratory)

Hallelujah, holy shit, where's the Tylenol [get the reference?], my lab is ALMOST FINISHED!  The only remaining steps are to lay the tile, put in (install?) the windows, and move in all the equipment and computers. I swear I will see this project to absolute completion, and I will then be more proud than I have ever been in my entire life. I am not being dramatic, I think this is probably the most valuable and important accomplishment of my entire life. I hope you know that if you are reading this, you are most likely someone who has inspired me to follow this path.... I am such a sap today... and that I am so grateful for your support.

I would post pictures, except the whole stolen camera thing. Mom said she is sending me a new one for my birthday (March 1), so soon you will get to see pictures again!!


Update Part 3 (School)

School is going great. The third and fourth year students are preparing for their WASSCE. The WASSCE is a set of exams that test the students in every subject on every topic they have learned throughout high school. It is similar to SAT subject tests. In April, they will take approximately two 5 hour exams per week for four weeks. It is INTENSE. The students are killing themselves, studying day and night, to review everything they have learned since they were freshman. Their anxiety is NOT unfounded. I have seen the exams. Those things are intense.

My second year chemistry students are kicking ass and taking names. I will write an entire post soon on how awesome those boys and girls are.

Honestly, the only even vaguely negative aspect of my experience at school are the other teachers. Some days they are funny and engaging, other days they are just chauvinistic butt wipes. But hey, those people exist on every continent!


Update Part 4 (My 2013 Resolution)

Something I've never done before, I actually made a New Year's Resolution this year. The Conway Clan has never been much of a New Year's resolution type family, but a couple days before leaving home, Aubrey told me she was giving up sweets this year. I greatly admired her resolve and was subsequently compelled to also make a resolution.

My resolution for 2013 is a multifaceted one. I have resolved to accomplish all of the following:
  • Complete my SPA (Small Projects Assistance) Grant laboratory project
  • Use PCPP (Peace Corps Partnership Project) Grant funds to do an awesome agriculture project at my school involving bee hives, a chicken coop, and a goat house (hutch? ... or what the heck is a goat house called?)
  • Help two of my particularly intelligent and hardworking female students, Christi Nkrumah and Alice Nare, apply for the Peace Corps GYD (Gender and Youth Development) scholarship
  • Take Alice and Richmond Dateng to STARS (the annual week long Peace Corps youth leadership and volunteerism camp)
  • Ace the GRE. And I don't mean do well. I mean to murder that thing. Put the hurt on it.
  • Apply to vet school. AND GET IN.
I know this list of goals is ambitious, but I also know it is attainable. I am a driven woman, willing to work my ass off for the things I want. By December 31, 2013, I plan to have a check next to each and every one of those items.  By golly!


Update 5

I will blog more often. :) I have a load of silly anecdotes I think you will like.



Friends, Family, Colleagues, Random Wierdos....
I now say Auf Wiedersehen
Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment