Peace Corps Ghana. Menji Agric Senior High. Chemistry. Friends. Cooking. Volleyball. Running. Animals.

15 January 2012

Your Mom is Cross Cultural

I discovered something today. After a bit of contemplation, I deemed the story only partially-worthy of a blog post. I decided write about it anyway, because this is my blog, and in the words of Cartman, "Whateva, whateva, I do what I want."

So here it is... No matter the country, language, or culture, your mom is funny.

This afternoon around 3pm, I was walking through Wenchi station, feeling very weary after a day's travel and a bit ill after a bout with food poisoning. My eyes are cast downward towards my slow moving feet ̶ as they usually are when I am not feeling like my chatty-self. The ground is reddish-brown dirt so dry and packed so hard that a blind man could have mistaken it for concrete. All around, I hear the usual calls of girls selling things off the tops of their heads: "nsuo nie!" (water), "kosua ne mako!" (eggs with spicy pepper sauce), "meat pie wϽ hϽ!" (meat pies are here), etc. I saunter forwards towards the place where I know I will find a tro to Menji.

All of a sudden, from about 10 feet away on my left, a man yells at a rather obnoxious volume, "Akosia obruni!!" (white lady). I don't look up or veer off my course. It happens every time I am in anywhere besides my town, so I have become quite accustomed/ numb to it.

"AKOSIA OBRUNI HELLO!!" he yells again, this time even louder. I still don't look up or stop walking.

"OBRUNI HELLLLOOOOOO!" he yells yet again. But this time, out of my peripheral vision, I see him rapidly approaching me.

"Akos, wo kϽ he?" (lady, where are you going) he fervidly demands.

Without looking up or hesitating, I reply, "Wo maame fie!" (your mom's house). We lock eyes, each as shocked as the other. I stare at him, waiting for some kind of reaction, thinking, 'Oh shit that was a major mistake.' He's a young man, tall, too skinny, and a little goofy looking thanks to the gap in his front teeth and the pink t-shirt that's 2 sizes too big. After 5 solid seconds of an incredibly awkward staring contest, he busts up laughing. I mean serious, bent over, knee-slapping laughter. He gasps, looks up, and cackles, "ME maame fie??" (MY mom's house?).

I start laughing too and reply, "Aane, wo maame fie! Anwummerԑ yie," (Yes, your mom's house. This evening.)

His lanky frame shaking with laughter, he adds, "Saa! Me frԑ no sessei, Ͻbԑ wϽ fufu!" (Is that so, I will call her immediately. She will prepare fufu!).

We shake hands, while continuing to crack up, then part ways.

Moral of the story... Even in Africa, your mom is still funny.


I dedicate this post to funny Moms all over the world.  
Especially my mom, Janers, who is loved by all, from Australia to Africa!



1 comment: