Peace Corps Ghana. Menji Agric Senior High. Chemistry. Friends. Cooking. Volleyball. Running. Animals.

08 November 2011

Bueller... Bueller... BUELLER???

Problems/ issues/ dilemmas/ whatever you will call them are part of life. Not every moment of every day is all smiles and rainbows**. It is true of life in America, and it is true of life in Ghana. Although here in Ghana I don't deal with some of the issues I would encounter back in the States (i.e. constipation from too much cheese), I now have a whole new set of issues. Since this is my blog (and my party and I'll cry if I want to) I am going to tell you some problems posed by life in Ghana.

  • Scorpions. There are two common species of scorpion native to my area. The first is smaller, about 2 inches in length, and tan-ish brown in color. This smaller type of scorpion has a thin malleable exoskeleton, quite vulnerable to the smashing force of my shoe. The larger of the species is black and nearly the length of your hand. This rather horrifying arthropod possesses a hard, thick exoskeleton, making it much more smash-resistant. Although I have not personally had any unfortunate experiences with scorpions, I certainly do not wish to start.
    This fellow very politely died before we met.

  • Diarrhea. I don't really have to get into this one.

  • Language barrier. Honestly, this is the least problematic of the issues listed here. I used to think it was frustrating to play volleyball in another language, but now I hardly notice and have even started using some Twi phrases in play! Well and actually, the language barrier can come as a relief. It's easier to ignore a loud-mouth, when they are blathering in another language!

  • Lack of steak. All I want is a 6oz filet with garlic roasted asparagus. Dang...

  • Army ants. These monsters form black rivers, 1 inch wide by over 10 meters long, that patrol the terrain surrounding my school. This terrifying line of demons marches tirelessly, searching for lives to destroy. During the day, they are of little threat, as I may simply hop over the ant river and continue on my way. During the night, however, the malevolent black river is masked by the darkness of the night. Imagine you are alone, walking along a dirt path at 9:00PM contemplating life in the Peace Corps.  All of the sudden, your right foot burns and stings with a fire surely straight from hell. You frantically direct your flash light downwards. Much to your dismay, your foot is engulfed by 100 large black ants chomping on your flesh, because you made the fatal error of stepping on their river.

  • The final problem I would like to tell you about it is one I have just recently encountered. Last week, another teacher complained to me that students had been skipping his class. [Yeah so, what am I supposed to do about it?] Furthermore, he was doing so while I was teaching a chemistry class. [Hey buddy, can't this wait, I'm sort of busy!] The teacher went on to say that he his missing students were sitting right there in my chemistry class. [Oh. That's why class looks so full] So my problem is that too many kids want to come to chemistry class. I asked one boy why he was skipping another teacher's class. He replied, "We come here because you are very interesting and we learn alot." I almost cried sending him away. Partially in happiness about such an adorable compliment and partially in sadness that he wouldn't hear the end of the lesson on periodic trends.

    Ok, bye!


    **Or so I'm told anyway.. :)

2 comments:

  1. Betsy, we MAY have to drug me to deal with the bugs... I actually shivered :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So am I hearing you correctly your honking off all the teachers by being so damn good? Awesome. I was going to send 2 or 3 boxes of Beeler Cookies but I guess Aub and I will down them here. We'll save them from being eaten by Mr. Darcy since you aren't in the garb we eat here.
    Tomorrow I'll sit in the Pepto closet upstairs and send prayers to the diarrhea god to pass you by.
    Sending lots of Love, Sara and the girls.
    P.S. When you get home, you can visit across the rode with an ole whizzer next to a tractor tire you'll have flashbacks of Ghana.

    ReplyDelete