Peace Corps Ghana. Menji Agric Senior High. Chemistry. Friends. Cooking. Volleyball. Running. Animals.

24 September 2011

Mef Dreams

The malaria prophylaxis given to me by the Peace Corps is a once-weekly 275 mg mefloquine hyrdochloride tablet. It has worked so far, because I don't have malaria. Well, ok, actually I do, but I don't and won't show symptoms, because the prophylaxis keeps the blood pathogen level low. However, it is not the fact that I won't die of malaria, in all seriousness, the best part of taking mefloquine is the dreams. I have always had fairly cool dreams, but since starting mefloquine my dreams have become more perspicuous, vivid, and creative. I remember these wild dreams almost every morning and in great detail.

The reason I am writing a post today is the mef dream I had last night. I sent Raven a text about it immediately upon waking, because I knew she would appreciate the truly awesome nature of this dream. It is (and I hate that frat boys ruined this word talking about getting stupid drunk and passing out in their own vomit) EPIC.

The setting of the dream is a dark, frigid night in a small rural town nestled into the side of a mountain on the coast of Norway. A terrible blizzard is raging across the landscape.

Now, the plot. You can't write this shit.

I am battling an über-evil super villian, who has been destroying villages across the countryside. He is cloaked in all black, and his face hidden by a disfigured red mask. He as well as I have powers of flight and super strength. He can control the blizzard. I can control water, although only weakly. We are battling at a farmhouse down by the water. I summon and attempt to drown him in a tidal wave. But before the wave reaches him, he freezes the water, turning it into sharp daggers of ice, which he sends hurtling in my direction. I dodge all but one of the frozen shards, which leaves a large bloody gash across my cheek. I try again to create a tidal wave, but my powers have weakened. I can only summon small, gentle waves to the shore. The villian in black picks up an old barn and hurls it at me. The barn crashes into my body, and I go flying through the air with the barn towards the mountain. I can stop neither myself nor the barn. I am crushed into snow and rock on the side of the mountain by the barn. Everything is dark. I think I am dying. But, slowly and painfully, I work my way out. I am exhausted. But then I have an idea. I rip off a piece of the barn's sheet metal roof. I snowboard through the air on the piece of metal down the side of the mountain, and because of the blizzard's powerful gusting winds, I pick up incredible speed. The snow and wind burn my face. As I get to the bottom, the villain picks up a massive slab of concrete with which I know he could destroy me. But I am so close. I am only a few yards away. I kick away the piece of metal. The sheet metal spins through the air and cleanly decapitates the villain. The slab of concrete drops from the air onto his body.

Then I wake up.

I couldn't make that up if I wanted to.

Thank you mefloquine for allowing me to defeat the darkest, most sinister of Norwegian evils in my sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff B. Glad to hear it all. Keep posting! Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://gizmodo.com/5843117/scientists-reconstruct-video-clips-from-brain-activity

    ReplyDelete