Peace Corps Ghana. Menji Agric Senior High. Chemistry. Friends. Cooking. Volleyball. Running. Animals.

16 June 2011

I'm in Ghana!!!

Hi everybody!

This is my first internet access since arriving in Ghana a week ago, so I wanted to check in with everybody and let you know that I am OK and HERE!!!

Currently we are training at the Peace Corps Center at Kukurantumi, a community a few hours northwest of Accra, the capital city of Ghana.  My host family lives in Old Tafo, which is a few minutes drive from Kukurantumi.  I am staying the Afra household with Mamee Rosemondo and Papee Osso and their two children Margaret (16) and Emmanuel (12).  I'm going to finish this post with some things about Ghana in list form...

  • Everything, everywhere, and most importantly everyone is way nicer and more amazing than I ever imagined.
  • The food is freaking yummy.  My mameee made me this amazing dish last night that included chicken tomato onion bell peppper spicey pepper (everything is SPICEY!!) cabbage carrot rice and spices.
  • There are chickens and goats everywhere... EVERYWHERE.
  • When you talk to any one, or need anything from anyone, or walk into a store, or even just past them on the street... you greet them.  And in the morning you ask how they are doing.  People care very much about the status of each other.
  • They love volleyball... SCORE.  Good thing I brought the ball Emma and I stole from Columbus East in high school.
  • All the kids yell OBRUNI and point as we walk by.... It means white person.  It's not offensive or bad, they just want to get our attention and talk with us!  I say "Daabi daabi daabi!! Yefre me Betsy!"  which means "No no no! My name is Betsy!"  They love it.  They crack up and say "Oh hello Betsy!"
  • The Peace Corps trainers (Ghanaian and American) are the bomb.  I cannot wait to work with them more!!
  • I've had both beer and the liquor.... The beer (StaR) is A.O.K and the apateshi is horrid and potent.  And I will drink more.
  • I love and miss you ALL!!
Write more later!
Betsy

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear you made it safely and even more excited to know you're loving it! Not that I ever doubted it for a second! I think you're creating an amazing chapter in your life Betsy! I am so so so excited for you!

    p.s I keep trying to post this comment, but it won't let me post through google for some weird reason (grrr)...I'm going to keep trying though!

    Much love from Georgia!
    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Betsikins! Im glad you made it there and are finding things to be amazing. It def seems a lil dull at JPP without your humor and random thoughts floating about the office, lol. I hope everything continues to be all that you thought it would be and more! We really can't wait to have you back to hear about your, whats sure to be, a once in a lifetime experience! \(^_^)/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to play volleyball in ghana... CANNOT WAIT. Sounds awesome Bets, wish I was there with you, what an adventure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy: I served(RPCV) as a teacher at St. Pauls Technical School(SPATS) from 1974-1976. I lived in a bungalow with two other teachers. I was amazed to read that the Peace Corps has a training center in Kukurantumi. I raised funds$$ to help build the basketball court at the school. I would love to see it again. Rodger(RPCV'76)

    ReplyDelete