Peace Corps Ghana. Menji Agric Senior High. Chemistry. Friends. Cooking. Volleyball. Running. Animals.

01 March 2011

Birthday Post

Thanks for the Happy Birthday's, everybody!

Today at the office we got a REALLY big box.  Kelley told me there was a man, also known as a stripper, in the box waiting to pop out and dance.  So I got scissors and busted into that thing... turns out it was actually just an extra wide (we're talking 3 feet) chair for Urgent Care. In fact, this chair is so wide that Cara and I can sit in it together quite comfortably.  This is a shout out to you, America, the fastest country ever.

When I got home back by the pool Chuck the peacock was giving a mating display for Lilly the cat.  He splayed his tail feathers, lowered his wings, and his whole body sort of vibrated.  Over the winter they have become very good friends, and apparently now they are lovers.

Tonight I am going to write my "Aspiration Statement" to send to the Peace Corps center in Ghana.  They'll use it to get to know me better and begin matching me to my future school.

Since I've known that I would be a teacher for the PC, which is a few months, I've been doing a lot of thinking about high school education.  I immediately thought of the two teachers that made the strongest impact on my life: Mrs. Hines and Mr. Schuley.  Mrs. Hines left her mark on my personal life and Mr. Schuley his on my academic life.  Mrs. Hines taught me independence, drive, I-don't-take-no-shit-attitude, and how to be a strong woman.  You don't really have a choice but to listen to Mrs. Hines, and you sure don't think about messing with her.  Mr. Schuley on the other hand taught me how to be a study, discern what matters, pay close attention to detail in my work, and be an overall kick ass student.  Thanks Hines and Schuley.

So, I've been sorting through all these reasons why Mrs. Hines and Mr. Schuley in particular made such strong impressions on me.  I want to bring those qualities to my teaching.  I want to be the best I can be at this!  Isn't it funny when you think back to elementary school, and you can't remember much of the particulars about your school work, but you know exactly how your fourth grade teacher sported that large, ridiculous hair style...  I think teachers make a greater impression on us than we know.  Some teachers I will remember and admire for the rest of my life; others I might as well never had.

I am excited and nervous about the challenge of being a high school teacher... it will definitely be a challenge.  Weren't we all assholes in high school?  It's such a vulnerable, exciting, stupid age.  At seventeen, you are so malleable and naive, a fact which I plan to use to my advantage.  I feel that I am fresh enough out of my teens that I can I identify with both children and adults.  It's a weird but awesome perspective; hopefully it turns out to be a benefit.

Ok bye, I'm hungry for dindin.

Betsy

2 comments:

  1. yentruoc ikswolzokMarch 7, 2011 at 5:09 PM

    a] my mating routine is like chuck's.
    b] i'm glad if my behind becomes three feet wide i can still be placed in a wheelchair. score one for me, zero for obesity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yentruoc ikswolzokMarch 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM

    but f'rulz, this is great. i love your insight about the impact of teachers and about how your age can be a total advantage-- very true!

    also, like my name? haha soooo clever.

    ReplyDelete